Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Why worry?

I had a bit of a light bulb moment today while in therapy and I just had to share.  (Keep in mind that most of the nuggets of wisdom in this post are from my incredible therapist...I can't take full credit, haha)

Do you worry?  I do.  But why?  Does it help me? No.  Does it make me smarter or happier or prettier or faster or anything positive....?  NO.

Tonight I realized how much I worry impacts my life and my joy.  I am not a perfect person, shocking I know. ;)  I have quite a few struggles like trusting people, comparison, confidence, anxiety, etc. And you know what I realized....worry is one of the main underlying causes of all of these....say what?!!

For example, I don't trust people enough because I worry they will hurt me or not do something correctly or let me down, etc. Or I have less confidence in myself because I worry about what others are thinking of me or that I can't do everything perfectly, etc.  Are you picking up what I am putting down?!  They are all linked to worry.

So what is worry?  Here are some non-Webster definitions: jumping into the future, thinking of anything with fear, etc.

How to not worry: live in the PRESENT!  Oh my, that sounds so simple, but why is it so difficult?
I am going to try, yes try, to live with the unknown instead of filling it with worries. Who wants to join me? ; )

This was one thing my therapist shared that I thought was so interesting: worrying distracts us from solving problems in the present.   So true!  I wonder how much better I would be at my job, how much more I would enjoy each day, my family, my friends, really everything if I worried less.  Okay, I am going to be a little bit prideful for a moment...but I am smart, pretty darn smart in fact. :)  I was thinking, hey if I am this smart when I worry how much smarter will I be if I worry less?!  Think about it, worrying uses so much of my energy and probably my brain and it adds nothing valuable to my life.  Sounds like it is time to try to win the nobel prize....haha, just kidding, maybe ;)

Seriously though, there is so much freedom in not worrying!  Now, I am not saying that you shouldn't be proactive and plan for the future, etc, there is always a time and place for that.  But when you plan out of fear and it consumes you, then it is not so helpful or healthy....I am speaking to myself here, not pointing fingers, just to clarify. :)

Okay, for all you accountants/business people, let's think about it from a cost benefit analysis perspective.  If you put a fake business plan in front of someone that had the characteristics of worry, ie all cost and no benefit to your company...literally NO ONE would choose that business plan.  I find it interesting to look at it through that lens. :)

I also love the fact that I really do not have to worry because God has an amazing plan for my life.  I am not promised a life without bumps in the road, but isn't it during those bumps and challenges that I learn the most?  It is, but trusting in those moments is difficult.  Some of my favorite verses relating to worry are: "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." (Matthew Ch 6) "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:6-7) and "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me." (Psalm 23:4)

I will end with one of my favorite songs "Let it Go"
So much of worry is about control.  I worry a lot when I am trying to control things that are not in my control and things I really shouldn't be trying to control.  So sometimes you just have to sing along, and "let it go!"

Just some thoughts that I was excited to share because I had a mini light bulb.  I hope you got a nugget from it or at least a laugh out of it. ; )

-Kammers :)


No comments:

Post a Comment